This past Sunday we participated in a 5K road race:
www.butterfly5K.com to support Julia's Garden at WWI Memorial Park, in North Atteboro, MA. It was a fun day and a true reflection of what being a Fitzy is all about! I jogged/walked with 2 of my friends and co-workers from the
League School, while Paul and Raina hit the pavement at a much faster pace. At the start of the race, Paul positioned himself and Raina, who was happily sitting in the jogging stroller, on the side of the road, up on the curb. A race volunteer approached Paul and mentioned that the strollers should start at the back of the pack for safety reasons. Paul, of course, stayed put and jumped the curb when the gun went off. My friends and I enjoyed watching him weave in, out, and around the runners...stroller and all! It was not long before he and Raina were out of sight!
Paul and Raina finished the 5K in just over 25 minutes. Paul did note that they were the first stroller to cross the finish line. (too bad there isn't a category for strollers!) My friends and I finished together in 40 minutes. We were happy to have run atleast half of it. It felt good and quickly reminded me of my pre-pregnancy/motherhood work-outs. It was good to be back in the game!
 |
| Melissa, Stephanie and Meghan |
 |
| Team Fitzy!!!!! |
|
So we finished the race and were enjoying the post race festivities; when Paul said, "I'm going to see if I can sign Raina up for the kids fun run." After all, she just started to walk a couple of weeks ago. The age requirement was one and she made it by 4 days!
 |
| Hydration before the race |
 |
| She's off and "running" |
 |
| Go Raina Go! |
 |
| She's a natural Fitzy |
 |
| Keeping a good pace |
 |
| Phew! Made it to the finish line! |
 |
| I think Raina is wondering what she has gotten herself into! |
It was fun to think that one year prior, we brought Raina home from the hospital and here we are today participating in a family fun run!
LOVE the blog, it was a great day and I can't wait till next year :) we will be running the whole thing!!!! Stephanie
ReplyDeleteI love this story!
ReplyDeleteHello from Kentucky!
ReplyDeletethe awesome Fitzy family! i love it!
ReplyDeletegood job Raina, for finishing first in the buggy!! (and good job Paul for helping her along) that is great that you finished in 40min, Melissa, and with friends! i wish i could've been there too!!!